Just like the greater part of the Western world, Americans always eat with forks and knives. Sometimes, even with a spoon. Maybe you’re a daredevil, and you’ve even experimented with a spork. But even those are found only in junior school cafeterias and prepackaged plastic take-out containers. However, the chopsticks aren’t very common.
For those of you who didn’t grow up with chopsticks being used at home (myself included), you probably first saw them at your local, favorite Asian restaurant.
You probably only ever thought of using them for Asian cuisine and no other kinds of food. However, chopsticks have been around longer than the fork, and our old chaps were eating more than just sushi with them.
An Opportunity To Re-Explore Chopsticks
You might even want to start considering them being a part of your daily lifestyle, where you use them as your main utensils. Chopsticks have been proven time and again to be very healthy for you.
Eating with chopsticks constrains you to eat gradually and carefully. This then leaves you feeling increasingly happy with lesser amounts of food.
How Exactly Do Chopsticks Help?
1) You can’t take food onto a chopstick in large heaps, as you can with a spoon or fork. If you do, then you’ve achieved the impossible.
2) By default, every bite will have you consuming lesser. It’s a whole different thing when you use forks and spoons, though! If you want an example, just think about the last time you ate Italian pasta with a fork and spoon. Didn’t you scoop up a large clump of noodles in just one bite?
3) Smaller mouthfuls mean you eat your meal all the more gradually.
4) While using chopsticks, you will likely feel fuller despite having eaten lesser than you always do. It is because when you take longer to finish eating, your brain signals to your body that you’re full.
5) Even kids can easily learn how to use them in their daily lives. Check out these cute training chopsticks for kids from bestwokcuisine.com! It will help your kids learn and enjoy using them at an early age.
Healthier Ways Of Eating
Chopsticks make eating as an action, very dynamic, making you mindful that you’re submerged in the physical act of eating. Apart from encouraging you to slow down and make the most of your eating experience, they have other advantages too. Research shows that eating with them brings down the glycemic index of whatever you eat, simply because of the change in the way you eat. When you eat using chopsticks, you eat much lesser per meal and much slower too. This is why the glycemic index drastically reduces. It’s always better for your health this way.
Things being what they are, for seven days, why don’t you try to eat with chopsticks rather than the standard utensils? Purchase your own to save money and voila! Welcome them into your daily lives.