Mapo Tofu is a classic dish from Sichuan Cuisine which has acquired fame around the globe. The dish is a perfect mix of spicy, appetizing flavor which goes perfectly with all kinds of dishes. The best combination for this Mapo Tofu will be steamed rice. There were days when people used to search for the Sichuan restaurants to get the taste of Mapo Tofu but the times has changed and now this dish is available in various restaurants. Do you want to enjoy the restaurant style Mapo Tofu at home, then this article is for you.
This is an easy recipe, which can be made from home with ease.
- Ground meat (you can take pork, turkey or chicken)- 120 grams
- Shaoxing Wine- 2 teaspoon
- Ginger- ½ teaspoon, minced
- Light soy sauce- 1 teaspoon
- Corn starch- 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil- 1 tablespoon
- Sichuan Peppercorn- 2 teaspoons
- Green onion- 2 tablespoons
- Doubanjiang- 3 tablespoons
- Firm tofu- 400 grams, one block
- Five spice powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Chinese Chili oil- 2 teaspoons
- Water or chicken stock- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 teaspoon
- Steamed rice- To serve the Mapo Tofu with
- In a bowl, combine the ground meat, Shaoxing wine, ginger and light soy sauce. Marinate the meat properly with ingredients and let it sit for some time.
- In another bowl mix the corn starch with a tablespoon of water and set it aside too.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes. Mince green onion too.
- Take a large non-stick skillet. Heat it on high flame and pour vegetable oil in it. Now add the Sichuan peppercorns into it.
- When the Sichuan peppercorns are fried and turned brown and crispy, take them out and transfer them onto a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
- In the same skillet add both Doubanjiang and ground meat. Fry the meat on medium heat with the help of a spatula. The meat should be evenly coated with the Doubanjiang.
- After the entire meat is coated, add the green onions and stir them for one more minute.
- Now add tofu to the pan and along with it add chili oil, sugar, and five-spice powder. Pour water and cook until all the ingredients come together. Put the stove on sim and cover the skillet. Let it boil for 10-15 minutes so that the tofu becomes tender and absorbs the sauce.
- The sauce should be half the amount for what you have added before. Taste both broth and tofu to know whether you have to add some other things or not. Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- If you think that the dish is too spicy, you can balance the taste by adding another spoon of sugar.
Add Sichuan Flavor
- The Sichuan peppercorns that you have fried earlier will be cooled down by now. Ground and make them into a powder.
- Add it to the cornstarch to make a paste. Now add this paste to the curry until it thickens.
- The Mapo Tofu is ready now, you can either serve it as a main dish or with steamed rice. Either way, it will taste good.
Classic Mapo tofu recipe is pretty simple but it is important that you follow all the instructions perfectly to get the right texture and taste.