Manchow soup is a famous Chinese soup that is hot and spicy. The soup is traditionally made from mixed vegetables. There are some other soups like hot and sour soup or tom yum soup that are popular in Chinese restaurants.
In this recipe, you can use mushrooms for a protein source, but you can sprouts or tofu also. If you are opting for tofu, then make sure it is of good quality.
In a few Chinese restaurants, they serve the Manchow soup with fried noodles. You can also add fried noodles if you want. I have added some fried noodles as I love the soup with some fried noodles. If someone wants to have soup without noodles, they can have it like that. The soup itself tastes super delicious and fulfilling.
Recipe Of Manchow Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
For Manchow Soup
– Sesame oil, 1 tbsp
– Green chilies, 1-2. Finely chopped
– Ginger, finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
– Garlic, finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
– Onions, finely chopped, ¼ cup
– Mushrooms, ¼ -1/3 cup
– French beans, finely chopped, ¼ cup
– Cabbage, shredded, ¼ cup
– Carrots, grated, ¼ cup
– Capsicum, finely chopped, ¼ cup
– Celery, finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
– Black pepper, a ¼ teaspoon
– Soy sauce, 2 teaspoons
– Water, 3 cups
– Cornstarch, 6 teaspoons
– 2 tbsp water
– Rice vinegar, a ½ teaspoon
– Coriander leaves, finely chopped, 2 teaspoons
For Fried Noodles (optional)
– Cooked noodles, 1/3 cup
– Oil to fry, as required
Sti-Fry Vegetables For The Manchow Soup
• Heat the sesame oil in a pan or wok. Add in the chopped red chilies, ginger, and garlic.
• Sauté at least for one minute. After that, add all the chopped onions into it. Lightly fry again for one minute.
• Add the chopped mushrooms and French beans. Stir fry these chopped vegetables on medium-high heat until the edges of the mushrooms become light brown.
• Then add all shredded cabbage, grated carrots, capsicum and celery into the wok or pan. For 3-4 minutes, stir fry it on medium-high heat.
Making The Manchow Soup
• At this time in another frying pan, add oil and fry the cooked noodles. Make sure you fry the noodles until they become crispy. Over a kitchen paper towels, place the fried noodles.
• Once stir-frying the veggies is complete, add black pepper and soy sauce into it. Start to stir again.
• Add veg stock or water into the pan. After that, sprinkle some salt over it for seasoning. Let the soup starts to bubble on medium heat. Don’t add too much salt as soy sauce is already there.
• Make a cornstarch paste adding water to cornstarch. It should be smooth and without any clot.
• Into the soup pour the paste. Now stir it very well. Until the soup thickens, keep it on the heat.
• Finally, add rice vinegar into the soup and turn off the heat. Taste if the seasonings are perfectly balanced. If you feel more seasonings are needed to add them.
• Serve the hot Manchow soup with the fried noodles on top of it. If you want, you can garnish the Manchow soup with some chopped coriander leaves.