The authentic Chinese dumplings are neither steamed nor fried. They are boiled. Yes, if you search for the roots of dumplings, you will understand that these were boiled in the starting. The Chinese consider the boiled dumplings as a great alternative for any kind of rice or noodles item. There are so many variants of dumplings present out there but the boiling ones are special and authentic. If you are in search of tasting the original dumplings, then you can cook them at home only. Yes, in this article you are going to read about the preparation of Chinese dumplings at home.
- Carrots- 450 grams, chopped
- Garlic- 4 cloves
- Ginger- 2 slices
- Rehydrated dried shitake mushrooms- 1 cup
- Sesame oil- 3 tablespoons
- Eggs- 3 large and beaten
- White pepper powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Bamboo shoots- 1 cup, minced
- Salt- ½ teaspoon
- Light soy sauce- 1 tablespoon
- First, rinse shitake mushrooms in a bowl. Dump them in hot water and let them stay in there for half an hour.
- After mushrooms become tender, remove the hot water and rinse them again. Ensure that there is no dirt left on both inner and outer surfaces of the mushrooms.
- Drain the entire water and set mushrooms aside.
- If you have a food processor at home, then add both mushrooms and carrot into it and mince them. Do not make them into a paste.
- If you don’t then mince both the vegetables with utmost care. The pieces shouldn’t be big and at the same time they shouldn’t be in the paste form either.
- In a non-stick skillet add two tablespoons of oil and let it warm on the medium heat. Now add the minced carrot and mushrooms to it.
- Cook them until they are completely fried and are not raw. Transfer them onto a large plate and spread them across the plate so that the carrots are cooled down.
- Now if you want, add one tablespoon of oil to the skillet and beat 3-4 eggs into it. Stir fry the eggs and transfer them into a big plate to cool (this is completely optional). Mix these eggs with already fried carrot.
- Add white pepper powder, salt, light soy sauce and bamboo shoot to the carrot mixture. Use a spatula to mix everything.
- All-purpose flour- 500 grams
- Water- 265 milliliter
- Dumpling filling (If you are a vegetarian you can prefer vegetable filling, if you aren’t you can go with pork or lamb filling). Here I am providing you with the recipe of carrot filling.
- Mix the all-purpose flour with water and form a dough. The dough should be tough, and it shouldn’t stick to the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a working surface and ensure that the dough is smooth. Close the dough with damp towel and cover it with a lid. Let it rest for 2 hours minimum. If possible, rest it for 3 to 4 hours.
- Dust the working surface and take a part of dough. Roll the dough in the form of long stick and cut them into pieces.
- Now roll the piece and fill it with the carrot filling.
- Freeze the dough for half an hour in refrigerator.
- Now in a large bowl and boil water.
- As the water starts boiling put the dumplings into it.
- Let the dumplings float to the top of water. As soon as the dumplings are cooked, remove them out of the water.