Spring rolls are fantastic finger food and can lighten up any party house or simple get together. If you are trying the traditional Chinese spring roll recipe than the rolls should be crispy, light and smooth. The light filling with the right balance will make your day.
Recipe Of Chinese Spring Rolls
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Yield: 50 rolls
For Spring Rolls:
– Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon
– Rice wine 1 teaspoon
– Black pepper powder, a ¼ teaspoon
– Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon
– Ground chicken, 1 pound
– Cooking oil, 2 tablespoons
– Garlic, 2 cloves, finely minced
– Green onion, 1-2 stocks, chopped
– Small cabbage head, 8 ounces, shredded
– Carrots, 2, thin julienne cut
– Oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons
– Spring roll wrappers, frozen, 50
– Cooking oil, 2 cups
For Cornstarch Slurry
– Cornstarch 1 tablespoon
– Water, ¼ cup
For Preparing The Filling
• Take a bowl. In it combine cornstarch, pepper, sauce, and wine. Now add the chicken into it and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.
• Now heat the pan or wok over high heat. When the pan is hot add 1 tbsp cooking oil into it. As the oil gets warm, stir fry the chicken until it gets brown. Place the ground brown chicken into a bowl.
• Wipe the pan or wok clean and again put it on medium heat. Now add the remaining oil as it starts to heat up. Toss in the ginger, garlic,and green onion. Cook them for 30 seconds. Don’t burn all these aromatics though.
• Now add the carrots and cabbage in the pan. Stir-fry them for 2 minutes on medium heat. Make sure the carrots are cooked.
• At this time add the cooked ground chicken back in the pan or wok. Stir the cooked ingredients well. Now dribble oyster sauce over the cooked chicken. Toss again for some time.
• On a baking sheet, spread the mixture, so that it cools down. Discard any liquid the sheet collects from the mixture when it becomes cool.
For Wrapping Spring Rolls
• Whisk the cornstarch with water in a bowl. After that, bring the spring rolls wrappers. Put a damp towel over the wrapper to prevent any drying out.
• Take 1 tbsp of filling and put it in one roll wrappers at a time. As you add the filling roll it instantly. Secure the end from opening with the cornstarch slurry. Cover the rolled spring rolls with plastic wraps so that they don’t dry out.
For Frying Spring Rolls
• Now when all the rolls are ready, heat 1 ½ tbsp of oil in a saucepan. When the oil temperature is right, place the few rolls into it and fry until light brown. Turn the rolls to cook evenly. It will take about 3 minutes. Complete the same process with remaining rolls.
You can use any types of meat in place of ground chicken. If you don’t have rice wine, then you can substitute it with dry sherry.
Freezing Spring Rolls
After you roll all the spring rolls if you want to put some of them into the freezer to store, do it before you fry. Put those in a closed bag to freeze.