Chinese people love to mix things & food is one of them. They add spices, give a different flavor & do everything to make their cuisines famous all over the world. The ways & tactics that they employ are still a secret, but we are more than curious to dig in the origins of Chinese flavors that leave such an impact globally. The human mind is a curious little stuff & when it grows, it finds out even the primary material being used in those spaces of Chinese kitchens. Mapo Tofu is one of those dishes which is known less, but it leads someone to lick their fingers on having this spicy Chinese cuisine. Today this article Prepare Mapo Tofu Recipe is stated in the below article.
Delicious Mapo Tofu
Mapo Doufu is a famous Chinese dish from Sichuan province. Mapo Tofu consists of tofu set in a spicy sauce, a thin, oily, as well as bright red suspension, based on broadband & chili paste (douban) and fermented black bean (douche), along with minced meat, typically pork or beef. Modification exists with other ingredients like water chestnuts, peanuts, onions, vegetables, or wood ear fungus.
Easy & Alluring Mapo Tofu Recipe
Ingredients Use in Mapo Doufu
- 120 gms ( four ounces) meat (pork, chicken or turkey)
- Two tsp Shaoxing wine (or Japanese Sake)
- One teaspoon light soy sauce
- Half teaspoon ginger, minced
- One tbsp cornstarch
- Two teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns increase to 3 teaspoons if you like your dish extra numbing
- One tsp vegetable oil
- Three tablespoons Doubanjiang spicy fermented bean paste
- Two tbsps green onion, chopped
- One block (400-gm / fourteen-oz) firm or medium firm tofu, chopped into 1.5cm (1/2 inch) squares
- One cup water (or chicken stock)
- Two tbsp Chinese chili oil one teaspoon for a less spicy dish
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- One teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- One tsp green part of cut green onion for garnish (optional)
- Steamed rice to serve with (as per the wish)
- Mix ground pork, cooking wine, soy sauce, as well as ginger in a container & blend it well.
- Take one tbsp of cornstarch & add 1 tbsp of water in a bowl & mix it well. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Chop & prep tofu & herbs.
- Take some vegetable oil & Sichuan peppercorns in a nonstick skillet heat it over medium flame.
- As soon as the color of peppercorns of Sichuan starts turning dark brown, it means they have solidified & are about to give that crunchy feel. Taking them out with a spatula, put the freshly prepared peppercorns into some container along with paper towel under it which will help in absorption of extra oil.
- When you heat the oil, pour meat along with Doubanjiang. Stir & fry over medium flame with a spatula Pour green onion & stir fry for 1 minute.
- Spread tofu evenly on top of the pork (Do not over stir the tofu to prevent it from breaking apart). Pour chili oil, 5-spice powder, as well as sugar.
- Put some water in it & cook it till it is brought to a simmer.
- Covered simmer, over low flame for ten to fifteen minutes, until tofu becomes tender & the sauce become thicken to half the original amount.
- Add seasoning by adding salt after tasting the tofu.
- When ground the fried Sichuan peppercorns in a coffee grinder or by using mortar & pastel.
- Combine the cornstarch with water again until fully mixed & swirl it into the skillet.
- With the help of a spatula, move the contents of sauce slowly until it becomes thick.
- Turn off the flame.
- Served & garnished with green onion & a pinch of ground Sichuan peppercorns if using.
Note: You can remove the meat (you can use mushrooms in place of meat) & make this dish a vegetarian.
I hope you like the dish not only by its name but also tries having it once. I know it is available in less quantity, but surely you can go through the recipe & make it on your own. Moreover, please share your valuable comments in the below comment box.