Egg Foo Young is a Chinese-style omelet made with eggs and vegetables. You can add carrots, bell peppers, and peas or other vegetables of your choice into it. Egg Foo Young is one of the easy Chinese recipes for you to make at your home. It’s basically an omelet stuffed with chopped vegetables or boneless meat cubes. The original dish was only with eggs and vegetables.
Do you know the dish is a perfect meal with leftovers? If you are in a Chinese restaurant, you will probably get various assortments of veggies and meats into it. Not every time you will get the same type of meat or veggies as it is made from leftover items.
Once I asked the chef of the restaurant where I visit with my family, why the fillings differ almost always. He explained that as it is a leftover meal, they add whatever veggies are present there. In China, most people eat only the egg version of Egg Foo Young and not with added meat. So, while you are making at your home, you can add any choice of meat into it in small quantity and best in minced condition.
You probably asking what makes the dish standout, it is definitely its filling and the punch of soy sauce. And also sesame oil plays its role to give that excellent flavor to the dish.
Vegetables Chefs Add In The Dish
– Bean sprouts
– Bell pepper
– Green onion
– Bamboo shoots
– Water chestnuts
Meats For Egg Foo Young
– Roast pork
– Chinese sausage
Egg Foo Young Without Meat Recipe
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
– Large eggs, 8
– Yellow onion, chopped, ½ cup
– Carrots, chopped and steamed, ½ cup
– Green peas, ¼ cup
– Green bell pepper, ½ cup, chopped
– Bean sprouts, cut, ¼ cup
– Soy sauce, 1 tbsp
– Sesame oil, 3 tablespoons
• Add all the ingredients – bell peppers, eggs, bean sprouts, carrots, peas, onions and of course the soy sauce- in a bowl except the oil. Whisk it all to combine the mixture well.
• Now take a large skillet. To make each Egg Foo Young pancake, heat 1 tsp sesame oil on medium heat.
• Add 1/3 cup of mixture for each of the Egg Foo Young. Cook for at least 3-4 minutes on one side and then flip it to cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Repeat the process for all the mixture. Your Chinese Egg Foo Young is here to savour.
Egg Foo Young Gravy:
You can add the gravy over this savory pancakes if you want. It’s a classic gravy recipe which is super easy to make. So let’s make it.
– Chicken stock, 1 cup
– Soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
– Dry sherry, 1 tbsp
– Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon
• Take a small saucepan and add all the ingredients in it. Whisk the ingredients well.
• Now cook the gravy mixture on heat. Whisk it until the liquid thickens.
Now if you want to pour the gravy over the dish and enjoy the tasty meal.