It is a pleasure to do pies after Thanksgiving. While the rest of us can go home to the routines of a working week, you can enjoy a great get together of all your family members to share pies and food.
Grandkids, parents, and grandparents tend to get together at least once a year for pie-making. Pie baking is an activity that makes a large group of people feel like they are a family. Here are tips to make the best pies for any group of people.
Follow These Tips For Best Pies
* Make a pie that your friends and family will enjoy. Pies can be very yummy, but most everyone loves pies with cream cheese, though some like apple pie too. Make pies that suit your audience and make sure you include flavors that are popular with them.
* Groups that love to cook, bake, or cook with pie can have fun making the crust. A simple pie crust, done up in a bright color, makes great pie toppings. Or, if you want to add flavors to the crust, try other ingredients such as strawberries, pineapple or lemon zest. Delightfully think summer berries and kiwi.
* Some good snacks, such as nachos, would be good for your family members who like a lighter meal. A family member may not like turkey, and someone else may not like something with gravy. Not all groups love gravy, so mix in small amounts of it, or add some sweet potatoes with that you can mince to taste. You can always add vegetables if they aren’t well-liked or choose a salad instead of the main course.
* For busy families, we have all heard how much time you spend cooking and cleaning. There is a lot to be said for that when you have multiple family members who love to contribute to the family dinner. Cook a nice sized dinner and have a nice sized pot of soup or a nice large salad. Add dessert for dessert.
* Guests appreciate being invited into the home to eat, especially if the home well-maintained and well-furnished for the gathering. One way to please your guests is to set out the meals to the table and serve them in a lovely sitting room that looks nice and inviting. Be sure to arrange the seating in a way that makes it easy for your guests to move around the table. You may want to provide some setting to make it more pleasant for everyone.
* Learn how to decorate! Some of the best pies are the ones made when no one has any idea what the filling is or even the basic crust. Make a colorful and rich pie filling using only traditional ingredients, like brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Another way to add some color is to make the filling in the shape of a gift basket.
* Don’t forget to have a bit of fun at the get-together. Go for a walk around the neighborhood or on the patio, and then relax. Be sure to let everyone know that everyone is welcome to bring something for the party, and if they don’t, they can bring a dish to share, such as their favorite warm lunch or the lunch they bought for a holiday. It is a nice surprise when guests bring a dish for the potluck dinner.
* Take the time to make sure everyone knows what to bring. In the instance of kids, ask them to bring a gift they haven’t had the chance to use yet or to give the guest of honor a gift to surprise them.
* Some of the best pies at family reunions are the ones where everyone brings a dish. They are all really excited to be a part of the gathering. These usually happen because of the family secrets that can be shared about the foods that are served and the traditions they have come to cherish.
If you want to find the best pies, join a family that has the pleasure of receiving the great treat. Make sure you take some of the family members out to a “best in show” pie baking event. Some of the best pies will have gone out of the kitchen of the chef and into yours.