Spring rolls are a crispy and crunchy snack that is perfect for any meal of yours. These spring rolls are one of the most popular items from Chinese cuisine and they are served before the meals in the form of starters. There are various types of spring rolls available in the market, for vegans you can go with vegetarian spring rolls and if you are a meat lover you can enjoy chicken roll, lamb roll, beef or pork roll too. These rolls offer something for everyone and you will fall in love with this taste.
Spring rolls can be baked or fried but the deep-fried method is famous among the people out there. I have compiled a simple vegetable spring roll recipe in this article.
Veg Spring Rolls
- Spring roll wrappers- 10-12, will be available in market
- Cabbage- ¾ cup
- Spring onions- 4-5, finely chopped
- Carrots- ½ cup
- Capsicum- ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Beans- ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Ginger- 1-inch piece, grate it
- Garlic- 3-4 cloves, minced
- Vinegar- 1-2 teaspoons
- Soy sauce- 2 teaspoons
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour- 2 tablespoon
- Oil- required for frying
- Rinse all the vegetables. Shred carrots as well as cabbages. Thinly slice capsicum and beans.
- Now on a non-stick pan, heat two teaspoons of oil and add finely chopped white spring onions.
- Add ginger and garlic paste as well and mix it until they turn slightly brown in color.
- Add all the vegetables to the pan and stir fry them. Ensure that they don’t turn brown in color. Stir them on the high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- After the vegetables are cooked, add soy sauce, salt, black pepper and vinegar.
- Be careful with salt as soy sauce will contain some salt in it already.
- Mix everything for a couple of minutes and let the mixture cool down before you do anything.
- Mix one tablespoon of all-purpose flour with two tablespoons of water. Form a paste.
- You will seal spring roll edges with this paste. If there are any tears in the wrapper, you can use this to fix those tears too.
- Spread a spring roll wrapper on plain surface. Take a spoon of cooled down vegetable mixture and place it on one end of wrapper.
- Now start wrapping the roll, do it gently but firmly.
- Spread all-purpose flour on the roll and fold the ends of the wrapper to inside. Add some more paste to make the ends stick.
- Roll the wrappers and ensure that all the ends are sealed properly.
- Deep fry these spring rolls for until they turn golden brown.
- You can serve them as it is or they taste best with Schezwan sauce, tomato ketchup or sweet chili sauce.
Vegetable spring rolls are very different when compared to all the other items in Chinese cuisine. They don’t involve any meat and are cooked in a different process than usual. This is the authentic preparation method of Veg spring rolls, they are perfect in all aspects and all you have to do is just follow the instructions perfectly. You have prepared the best appetizer at home now.